Skinpress Demo Rss

Saturday 20 March 2010

Get job, keep job...perform!

Welcome to my new blog. I started this after looking around for general reading on the life of auditions and although I found some deecnt material, nothing gave the nitty gritty details I want to give. I am injured at the moment and unable to do most of what I would normally, hence the starting of this blog, need to occupy my mind!

So I am 24 (nearly) and on the familiar 'audition circuit' of London's musical theatre/dance scene. I graduated from a very well known musical theatre college 18 months ago and have been auditioning for cruises, tours and west end big shows since then. I've had bit jobs, a contract with Disneyland but have yet to land that dream job. Normal dance auditions, the cattle calls, no longer daunt me. Singing auditions occasionally still do though! I've been to so many cruise company calls and have got nearly to the end, and also been chucked out of my ass at the beginning. It's not always to do with talent. It's all about look, availability, sometimes even costume sizes...but I'll get into that in more depth soon. I'm self represented, not by choice, but hey ho, that's how it goes I suppose. If you don't have an agent, don't give up hope. There are ways and means of getting private auditions. You just need a good ear and an eagle eye.

My aim here is to share my knowledge of auditions with the world. There are so many things I would've liked to know, and although 'they' say experience is key, getting some inside hints and tips is always helpful! Here you'll find details of specific auditions, what first rounds are like, what to wear (eg: for Chicago always BLACK! For some crusies, leotard, heels and fishnet tights I'm afraid), song ideas, new musicals to look at for ideas. Also if you have heard something and want it confirmed I will do my best, also I have full lists of agents and casting directors contact details. Just ask and you will get (if you ask nicely).

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment